Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Eating Guatemalan children...

I forgot to tell the funniest story:

So Stephen and I were on a micro on Sunday and he was telling me a story (in English, of course) about one of the volunteers we had just met, who happens to be African-American.  She went with a couple of other African-American PCVs to give a charla in a small aldea, and I should preface this by saying that there are some really strange stereotypes about black people here.  Anyway, they started their presentation by saying, “We’re not here to eat your children if that’s what you think.  And we’re not going to steal your kids either because we don’t want them!”  (The kidnapping thing is general for all foreigners, no matter what skin color.)  I thought this was the funniest thing ever and was like, “Did they really just go and say no estamos aquĆ­ para comer sus hijos?”  That being the only thing either of us had said in Spanish, the entire micro turned around and stared at us, fairly horrified!  Stephen feebly tried to explain, “no no, era nuestra compaƱera…” but they were having none of it and I couldn’t stop laughing for the next 10 minutes straight!

No comments:

Post a Comment